Pages

Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Marriage Scam: A True Story in Singapore (Part 1 of 2)

Image Source: http://www.locombia.org/
This is a real story and it happened to my younger sister.

7 years ago, my sister brought a man into the house and announced her marriage to this man.

I was shocked because I saw this man the first time and what's more, the news was about a marriage.

I decided to probe more.

First, I asked the guy what made him think he could marry my sister now. He simply answered, "I love her." That was all. I was expecting to tell me how he could provide for my sister and other more concrete commitment.

I questioned him a bit more, mainly to probe whether he was a genuine person or a fake. Because the guy was a Chinese guy and I knew many Chinese people married Singaporeans to get a Singapore citizenship after which they would disappear. At the end of the conservation, he simply told me, "There's no need for us to talk more. Your mother already said yes."

Next, I confronted my mother for clarification.

I asked her why she agreed when she knew this guy was in no financial position to marry my sister. My mum told me that my sister wanted to marry this guy as fast as possible and she couldn't stop it. Next, I asked her how long they knew each other and she said, "Very long." Then, I asked her how long. And what I heard later shocked me: one year.

At the end, I gave my mum an ultimatum: I have already given you all my reasons why I objected to this decision. You are the parent, and you definitely have a say in this decision. If you say no, this marriage can be called off. I am objecting not because I don't want my sister not to have happiness. It's because I want her to have true happiness that I want you to call off. I'm not saying I don't ever want her to get married. I just want you to postpone the marriage for about 1 year, for us to monitor whether the guy is a genuine person or a fake one and also, if he's genuine, having one more year of savings would definitely help them. And so, since you always want to be right and since you do not allow any of us to override your decision fine! If there's any problem later on, don't come and find me!

My mother was adamant. She challenged me and said, "You rest assured that if something happens, I will take 100% responsibility. You stay out of everything."

Fast forward 7 years now, my sister's husband requested for a divorce and with this opportunity, my sister revealed her side of the story.

Read my next post for the second part of this story.

News Link:

How the Canadian Government Tackle Marriage Fraud
https://themigrationist.net/2015/04/22/love-lies-and-borderlines/


No comments:

Post a Comment